The Daily Beast is an American news website that provides news on entertainment, politics, world events and technology. It features the ‘cheat sheet’ that provides selected snapshots of articles on popular stories from the online news and provides links to the full article texts on the provider’s website.
- Industry: News
- Founded: October 6, 2008.
- Founder(s): Tina Brown
- Headquarters: New York City, USA
- Website: thedailybeast.com
History of The Daily Beast
Tina Brown is the founder of ‘The Daily Beast’ which began publishing articles from the 6th of October, 2008. Tina Brown is the chief editor of the website. She was the editor of The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and of the Talk magazine earlier. Brown resigned from the post of editor of The Daily Beast in September 2013.
John Avalon is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Beast at present. He was a political commentator, American journalist, and the CNN contributor. Heather Dietrick became the Publisher and the President of the website in 2017. The name ‘Daily Beast’ was taken from Evelyn Waugh’s novel, The Scoop.
The website has seen a steady 60% increase in the number of visitors every year along with about 300% increase in the overall community size. It won the ‘National Magazine Award for the Website Department for its ‘Book Beast’ initiative taken from September 2009. The website published the ‘Violence of the Peace- America’s Wars in Obama’s Age’ by Stephen L. Carter.
More about The Daily Beast
The Daily Beast is a nonpartisan, independent popular American website with an average monthly visitors increasing from 13.5 million in the year 2013 to over 17 million in the year 2014. In September 2014, the website had average monthly visitors of 21 million.
It launched ‘Beast Books’ in September 2009, which is an initiative for publishing books by the Beast writers in an accelerated manner. The book first published by this initiative was by the editor of the website, John Avlon titled ‘Wingnuts- How a Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America.’ From March 2012 onwards, ‘Beast Books’ has been operating under the name of ‘Book Beast.’
Awards of ‘The Daily Beast’
- Best News Site Award: The website won the ‘Webby Award’ for the ‘Best News Site’ in 2013 as well as 2013.
- National Society of the Newspaper Columnists Award: John Avlon won the award for the best online column in 2012.
- Courage in Journalism Award: ‘The International Women’s Media Foundation’ gave this award to Anna Nemstova in the year 2015.
- National Society of Newspaper Columnists Award: Michael Day won this award in 2015 in the category of blog, online, multimedia.
- Best Writer’s Award: ‘The Los Angelos Press Club’ gave away several writer’s awards to M.L. Nestel for the category Entertainent/Arts Investigative; Bell Collins and Brandy Zadrozny for the Best Celebrity Investigative; Malcolm Jones for the ‘Best Obituary’; Tim Teeman in the category Arts/Industry Hard News and Lizzie Crocker for ‘Humor,’ Kevin Fallon and Melissa Leon in the category of Arts /Industry Soft news.
- New York Press Club Journalism Award: The website won three awards in 2017 in the categories of Crime Reporting, Entertainment News, and Travel Reporting.