There are times when a screenshot or a screen recording can be your lifesaver. Like when your girlfriend doubts you or when your family won't believe that you are actually studying, well that's really shocking, screen recording can prove your point easily. Apart from these personal circumstances, screen recording is a great help in professional lives too. Almost every single gamer needs to record his/her screen in order to provide content to his/her audience. Since the pandemic started, online education has exploded and probably this is gonna continue in the future too and we all know how important it is for the teachers to record their screens for their students to understand and learn effectively. There are probably more uses of this great powerful feature than you and I can even think of.
How to Screen record in Windows 11
So, ever wondered how can you record the screen on your Windows 11 device? Actually, it is not an appropriate question as you are here for that reason only...sorry!
Recording your screen can be really helpful for you in whatever your motive is and with Windows 11, it has become much easier to do so. There are more than one methods to record screens on your Windows 11 device and it is actually, not necessary for you to use a third-party app for the purpose. You can easily and effectively record the screen on your device by using just the system apps and nothing else.
There is not a big difference in the UI structure of Windows 10 and Windows 11 and therefore, if you have used the screen recording feature in Windows 10, using it in Windows 11 will hardly be any different. Then too, we have come across several ways of screen recording and picked up the best, easiest and fastest ways for you to record screens on your Windows 11 device.
Let's get started:
Screen Recording with Xbox Game Bar:
If you are or are not aware of the fact that the Xbox Game Bar comes pre-installed on your Windows 11 device, let me tell you that you can use it for screen recording purposes too. The several ways to record your screen with the help of the Xbox Game Bar are:
- In the 'Start' menu, click on the search bar, type 'Xbox Game Bar' and press the 'enter' key. From the most relevant results, launch the Xbox Game Bar app. Now, find and select the 'Rec' option to start recording the screen on your Windows 11 computer.
- Simply press the 'Windows + G' keys to directly launch the Xbox Game Bar app and then start recording as mentioned earlier.
- If you want to save even more time then the easiest way is to press these three keys together- 'Windows + Alt + R'. As soon as you press these three keys, your system will start recording your screen and to stop it, you just have to press those three keys together again.
Pretty easy, right?? With this method, screen recording is nothing but a piece of cake. Later, you can easily locate the screen recording here- C: \ Users \ Your User \ Videos \ Captures
When recording the screen with Xbox Game Bar, we can also manually configure the settings for recording such as the Frames per second, Saving folder, Video quality and length, Audio and even the cursor. So yeah, this method of recording the screen is really flexible.
Screen Recording with OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a great platform which is used worldwide by many gamers and streamers for live streaming over the Internet. Although mainly focused on streaming, this platform also provides support for screen recording to its users. Moreover, the app is free to use and it is quite interesting to record the screen with OBS Studio in Windows 11. So, follow these steps for screen recording using OBS Studio:
- Download the OBS Studio app here- https://obsproject.com/download
- Once the download is completed, install and launch the OBS Studio app.
- Upon launching the app for the first time, an installation wizard will appear with two options, 'streaming' or 'recording'. Keep in mind that the app is going to optimize everything according to your choice so in this case, it is better to choose the 'recording' option.
- Once the app is successfully installed and launched, go to the 'Sources' section.
- Click on the '+' icon. This will give you some choices as to which action to perform. Choose either 'Screenshot' or 'Window', based on what you want ro record at a particular time.
- Follow the on screen instructions and then click on 'OK'.
- When everything has been set up, simply get to the 'Control' section and click on the 'Start Recording' option.
- Now, you can even minimize the OBS Studio app and it will keep recording the screen untill and unless you manually turn it off.
- The recordings are generally saved in the 'Videos' folder in your Windows 11 computer. Though, the storage path can also be changed manually.
Just like the Xbox Game Bar app, OBS Studio app also lets you make specific changes to the type and quality of the recording. This can be done by going to the 'Settings' section in the OBS Studio app.
Screen Recording with NVIDIA or AMD Software
Is there anyone who does not know about NVIDIA and AMD? Nope? Makes sense.
Using NVIDIA or AMD software may or may not be considered as using a third-party app, that's subjective. But nobody can deny the fact that this software are on par with many highly-paid screen recording software. The names include NVIDIA Shadow and AMD Radeon. We will talk about both of these apps separately…
- NVIDIA Shadow: If you use an NVIDIA graphic card in your Windows 11 computer, you must know about the NVIDIA Geforce Experience app too. Basically, NVIDIA Shadow is just a part of the NVIDIA Geforce Experience that allows you to record your screen and this app is actually used by many professionals and gamers too. Here is a complete guide on how to use the NVIDIA Shadow to record screen on your Windows 11 device-
- Download the NVIDIA Geforce Experience app from here- https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/download/
- Install the app and you're already pretty much close to the goal. Start any app or game that you want to record your screen for and press the 'Alt + Z' keys.
- This will open the NVIDIA Shadowoplay's overlay window. Now, click on the 'Record' option and then click on 'Start' and the app will start recording your screen.
- You can hide the overlay by again pressing the 'Alt + Z' keys.
The videos will then be saved directly to the 'Videos' folder in your Windows 11 computer. You can also change several settings for the screen recording by manually launching the app and that's it!
- Download the AMD Radeon app with the help of the following website- https://www.amd.com/en/support
- Install the app and get back to the desktop on your Windows 11 computer.
- Right click on any empty space and click on the 'AMD Radeon Software' option.
- Now, the AMD Radeon app will be launched. Click on the 'Gear icon'.
- From the sub-menu, click on 'General'.
- There, you will find everything that is to be set or found for screen recording.
Finally, you have set up the AMD Radeon app for screen recording and can enable/disable it at any moment.
So, these were all of the methods for screen recording on your Windows 11 computer. There are many other third-party apps too for screen recording purposes but they are either not so good or pay-to-use apps. And why would you pay for an app which does the same things that a free-to-use app does? Right?
Hence, we included only those third-party apps which do not cost you or if they do, they are just add-ons with your graphic card.
We hope these steps are easy enough for everyone to understand and follow them. But if you have any doubts or queries, we are always there for you.
Recording your screen be it your PC or your mobile devices, have a variety of utility value. When such is the case, accessing the right screen recorder for your work becomes of the highest importance, especially when you are on a budget. To aid you in your pursuit to record your screen, we are listing down some of the top FREE screen recording software that you can get your hands on effortlessly.
Screen Recording Softwares for Windows 11
Here we go, with the list of top 20 FREE software tools for screen-recording in your Windows 11 PC. Please note, in our list, we shall also cover those that are FREEmium in nature as well.
ShareX is FREE to open source screen recording software that requires its users to download on the device they use. The software offers easy screen capturing, customizable workflows, scroll capturing, multiple windows, etc.
- Website – https://getsharex.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 128,771
- Daily Unique Visitors - 7,392
- Daily unique Page Views – 8,166
OBS of Open Broadcaster Software too much like ShareX is an open source screen sharing and broadcasting software. The tool is available for download on multiple OS including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- Website – https://obsproject.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 8,224
- Daily Unique Visitors - 41,668
- Daily unique Page Views – 125,004
Bandicam Screen Recording
Bandicam is a FREEmiumm screen recording tool for Windows and machines. This tool also offers multiple features including game recording, device recording, real-time drawing, camera overlays, select area recording, voice mixing, mouse effects and many more.
- Website – https://www.bandicam.com
- Global Alexa Ranking - 11,052
- Daily Unique Visitors - 47,185
- Daily unique Page Views - 94,849
FBX Free Game Recorder
FBX is primarily an open source screen recorder which is popular among its users for game recording. It allows instant clips, 24x7 recording without limits, screenshot capture, book marketing and much more.
- Website – https://fbx.gg/
- Global Alexa Ranking – 247,587
- Daily Unique Visitors – 5,675
- Daily unique Page Views – 6,446
APowerREC offers a wide range of recording solutions for Windows, MAC, iOS and Android devices. In addition to recording, the software allows video editing, webcam recording, task recording, video conversion, screenshot capture, audio recording/mixing, etc. This is a paid software.
- Website – https://www.apowersoft.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 7,944
- Daily Unique Visitors - 97,231
- Daily unique Page Views - 132,705
XSplit is a powerful and FREEmium screen recording and broadcasting software and is OS agnostic. This Screen recording software in addition to broadcasting your videos on multiple platforms including social and one to one, one to many devices is popular amongst gamers.
- Website – https://www.xsplit.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 20,943
- Daily Unique Visitors - 16,135
- Daily unique Page Views - 48,404
ScreenCastify is fully FREE screen recording software that can be plugged on to your device as a chrome extension. The tool allows easy screen capture, chrome broadcast, offline recording, autosave, GIF creation, etc.
- Website – https://www.screencastify.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 62,800
- Daily Unique Visitors - 12,614
- Daily unique Page Views - 17,018
iSpring Cam is a screen recording tool known to offer a complete e-learning solution. This FREEmium tool allows its users to create complete learning solution including power point creation and recording, video and audio recording, interactive assessments, screen recording, dialogue simulations, adaptive player support and more.
- Website – https://www.ispringsolutions.com
- Global Alexa Ranking - 40,608
- Daily Unique Visitors - 13,564
- Daily unique Page Views - 26,354
Flashback Express Recorder
- Website – https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 139,111
- Daily Unique Visitors - 2,407
- Daily unique Page Views - 7,222
TinyTake is a FREEmium screen recording software that allows easy recording, annotation, and sharing of video content. A user of Tiny Take can record his screen for up to 120 minutes using a webcam. Additional features include – zoom in zoom out, proxy server friendly, custom short keys, screenshots, etc.
- Website – https://tinytake.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 110,899
- Daily Unique Visitors - 5,364
- Daily unique Page Views - 8,808
ScreenCast O Matic
ScreenCast O Matic is a FREEmium screen recording software. It offers easy video/screen recording, audio mixing, video editing and sharing features.
- Website – https://screencast-o-matic.com
- Global Alexa Ranking - 16,020
- Daily Unique Visitors - 26,196
- Daily unique Page Views - 65,489
Ice Cream Screen Recorder
Ice Cream Screen Recorder is a completely FREE screen and video capture software available on MAC OS and Windows 10 operating systems. This software is a must try for everyone for it is feature loaded and yet is completely FREE. This is popular among podcasters.
- Website – https://icecreamapps.com/Screen-Recorder/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 56,559
- Daily Unique Visitors - 7,870
- Daily unique Page Views - 18,187
Active Presenter is feature loader Screen Recorder and Video Editor that is tailor-made for e-learning. The tool allows for easy screen recording, video editing, and sharing.
- Website – https://atomisystems.com/activepresenter/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 184,108
- Daily Unique Visitors - 1,748
- Daily unique Page Views - 5,142
Windows 10 Prebuilt
Microsoft along with its Windows 10 OS offers a prebuilt in screen recording software. To activate this feature on your Windows 10 devices you need not have to download any additional software. The tool is very comprehensive in features and allows you to perform a wide variety of tasks much like any other paid screen recording tools available out in the market.
- Website – https://www.microsoft.com
- Global Alexa Ranking - 38
- Daily Unique Visitors - 10,465,654
- Daily unique Page Views - 26,809,166
Fraps is a FREE screen recording and screenshot capture software and is popular amongst gamers.
- Website – http://www.fraps.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 30,976
- Daily Unique Visitors - 19,347
- Daily unique Page Views - 33,026
Filmora is a video editing and recording solution provider, who’s Filmora Scrn offers both FREE and Premium screen recording solutions for Windows devices. The free version of the tool offers Changeable cursors, video editing tool, 2 devices compatible, 15 to 120 FPS, Easy export, PIP ( Picture in Picture), Annotations and much more.
- Website – https://filmora.wondershare.com/
- Global Alexa Ranking - 743
- Daily Unique Visitors - 893,668
- Daily unique Page Views - 1,389,516
Quick Time is a fully loaded built-in screen recording tool for iOS and MAC devices.
- Website – https://support.apple.com/quicktime
- Global Alexa Ranking - 62
- Daily Unique Visitors - 4,993,651
- Daily unique Page Views - 16,443,996
MonoSnap is a FREE screen recording software for Windows and MAC machines. The tool allows its users to capture screen, zoom in and out, annotations & highlights, easy storage and sharing and much more.
- Website – https://monosnap.com
- Global Alexa Ranking - 16,494
- Daily Unique Visitors - 26,378
- Daily unique Page Views - 60,526
VLC is a FREE to use video player and screen recorder available for Windows, Android, MAC and Linux machines.
- Website – https://www.videolan.org/vlc
- Global Alexa Ranking - 2,208
- Daily Unique Visitors - 220,239
- Daily unique Page Views - 464,913
TechSmith offers a wide range of FREEmium and Premium video recording and screen capture solutions including Snagit, Camtasia, and Relay. Its Snagit tool allows its users to capture screen, video recordings, edit and share their work easily. Techsmith’s tools are compatible with Windows and MAC devices.
- Website – https://www.techsmith.com
- Global Alexa Ranking - 5,719
- Daily Unique Visitors - 63,359
- Daily unique Page Views - 178,100
Here ends the Top list of Screen recording software for Windows 11, If you know any Fantastic tool to record screens in Windows, feel free to mention them in comments.