I can’t stress this enough when I say it’s a good idea to always keep your iOS device’s software up to date. Many times the software release might have some bugs that might hinder your iOS usage. Earlier there wasn’t any way to keep automatic updates on, but now that the newer
versions have updated with that feature, you don’t have to bother about doing the software updates manually.
The same thing applies to the apps as well. I distinctly remember back in the day probably a couple of years ago WhatsApp had a major crash and the users couldn’t send or receive messages for a couple of days. So, its always a better idea to update apps and the iOS software to not get into such issues.
So, here’s how you update your iPhone to the latest version.
Important thing to do before update:
There is the most important thing that you are supposed to do before updating to the latest software. That is making a backup of your entire iOS device. If you choose to back up your iPhone,it means that there will be a copy of your entire iphone data to use in case your device is ever replaced, lost or damaged. There might be an instance where an update might break your data. It hasn’t happened so far. So, let’s hope it stays that way. It always best to backup your data.
- First things first, you need a stable wifi connection. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network wherever you are.
- Go to Settings and then select the iCloud Account (that’s where your name is shown) and tap iCloud under that.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- Select Back Up Now. Its crucial that you are connected to the internet until its done. You don’t have to stay on that screen until its over. You could carry about your business and let the back up happen.
To confirm whether its done, Go to Settings > [iCloud Name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Check the date and time of your last backup and if its super recent, then you can be sure its done.
Bonus: HOW TO UPDATE SAFARI BROWSER MAC AND IPHONE
Update iOS on iPhone
One thing to remember is that whenever you update your iPhone, your data and settings are expected to be unchanged but the backup is to make sure that you have a fallback in case if update screws up your phone.
There are two ways to make sure your phone is updated. One is by Automatic Updates or by Manual update.
- In your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Choose General.
- Select Software Update.
- Tap on Customize Automatic Updates. Inside that enable the options which says Download iOS Updates and Install iOS Updates. So, you have control to automate either download or install updates. In case if you want to manually control when the install happens, you could do that.
So What happens is, whenever an update is available, your iPhone will automatically download it and install it overnight whenever its connected to the Wi-Fi and also charging. You will be clearly notified both when the update will happen also, when the update is successful.
Manual Update, as the name clearly suggests, lets the iPhone user manual install the software whenever you want to. Basically, whenever you get time, open to the same menu and see if there is an update available.
- Go to Settings
- Choose General.
- Tap on Software Update. If there is an update that needs to be installed, it will show up on that screen. In case if its not there, it will say something like “iOS 15 is up to date.”
- So, if you have a pending update to be installed, select Download and Install in it. If you choose to read the Agreement, knock yourself out.
So, if you think manual update is for you, its better to turn off automatic updates and then it won’t happen on its own.
Update your iPhone using Windows or Mac
So, to update using computer you need to connect the phone to your computer. So, the update could be done via both a macOS and Windows Computer.
- So, once your iPhone is connected to the computer, Make sure your computer has iTunes installed if you are connected to a Windows PC.
- If you are on a Mac, Go to Finder and in the sidebar you will find the Name of the Phone. Click on that and in the page that appears, Click General at the top of the window, and then Click Check for Update. if any install is there, click on the Update.
- If you are on a Windows PC, as I said earlier, You need to have the ITunes app installed. Once that’s done, Open Itunes, click on the Summary. In the Summary windows, click on Check for Update. In case if there’s an update, Click Update under it.
- In Both the cases, once you choose Update, it starts downloading and install right away to your iPhone, so this update happens through the computer, smake sure both the devices have a proper WiFi connection.
These are the ways you could actually update your Iphone to the latest software update available. The process differes a little in case if this is an iPad you are using. Now that they are isolating iOS from iPadOS, the steps might differ but it shouldn’t be much different to follow from the steps I have mentioned here.