For almost two decades, Facebook or Meta has conjured up the social media space without having to share a big portion of human attention with anyone else. With different iterations, they have taken full advantage of the internet protocols to ensure that human interaction is at the fullest of its potential. With messaging, feed and so much more, people across the world can actually interact better among themselves.
This article will show how to protect yourself from stranger messages by turning off message requests. This will ensure that you receive only messages from people you follow or who follow you. We will teach you how to do this mobile app of Messenger so that you will have more based on the device you normally use for social media purposes.
Privacy at Facebook
People who are active on Facebook or even have a large following on Facebook might receive so many message requests. Also, when it comes to celebrities, the amount of spam they receive on a daily basis is unimaginable. Normally when you receive a message from a stranger, it goes to a special inbox that you can choose to actually look at or not.
This feature is good because it keeps a distance between people you know and whom you don’t. Also, when it comes to women, they receive a lot of unsolicited sexual content or even harassment of sorts online from a huge number of people.
Concerning the privacy issue that we were talking about, there is a moral responsibility from the side of Facebook to ensure that their users are protected from their strangers.
How to Turn Off Message Requests On Facebook using Mobile?
Let’s see how to turn off message requests using a mobile. For the purpose of this tutorial, I’m using an Android phone but this should be the same case if you are using an iPhone device. It shouldn’t be difficult to follow the steps below.
- Open the Messenger app on your mobile device. Once you are on the home page, tap on the profile icon at the top left corner of the screen as you can see in the screenshot below which would reveal the profile preferences.
- In the Profile section, you will find all the options that are required for your personal settings.
- Scroll down and select the option that says Privacy under the section Preferences.
- Under the Privacy section, select the option Message Delivery which is the first option.
- Under Message Delivery, chose Others of Facebook under the Other people section.
- Now select the option Don’t receive requests. So, some conversations, like those that might go against Facebook’s community standards will be delivered directly to spam.
That’s it. It’s that easy to actually stop strangers from sending you messages on Facebook and not even send message requests. You can change this back anytime you want and please be aware that there is no way to actually track who is trying to get in touch with you when you don’t receive any requests.
Even though Meta has taken some serious heat over the last decade but is a good thing that they have actually given more control to their users in terms of protecting themselves from strangers and especially safeguarding themselves on the internet.
I personally think that celebrities might really enjoy this feature because of the incredible amount of attention they receive on a daily basis. Also, for people who like to keep themselves safe on the internet, then this feature is a mighty one for them as well. What do you guys think? Is it an effective feature? Do let us know in the comments below.