Looking at how to take a screenshot on Windows 10 in 2020? Over the years, Windows has become the most popular operating system used worldwide. The new updates and versions they put across have revolutionized the way we perceive computers. Each update has brought about phenomenal changes that improved functionality and ease of use in computing. The latest model, Windows 10, is an advanced operating system for computers and has a whole new look compared to the previous versions. This change in appearance and style was not sudden since Windows 8 also showed considerable innovative styles when it came to the applications available on the new Windows Store.
With the advent of new games, high-quality image display when it comes to movies, and the capability of modern operating systems to multitask with efficiency, people often want to capture what they are doing on screen. Sometimes this involves screen recording, which software like Xbox offers in gaming laptops. But usually, people prefer taking a screenshot.
A screenshot or a screen capture is a digital image that shows all the contents of a computer screen at a particular moment in time. This is usually done by the operating system. In smartphones, taking a screenshot is quite simple – pressing the power button and a volume button at the same time captures and saves to the phone whatever was being displayed on the screen at that instant.
In computers, it is quite the same, yet many people are confused about how to take a screenshot on Windows 10.
Why Should You Know How To Take A Screenshot On Windows 10
- If you want to take a picture of a website that does not allow you to save its content to your device.
- To capture just a paragraph or two from a large body of the text.
- To capture high scores, bugs, or other moments from your game.
- To capture proof of relevant information like whether you have sent an email, your reports, citations, etc.
- To capture just one frame from a video or movie.
- To capture two or more applications that are running simultaneously.
Since it has so many functions, you must know how to take a screenshot on Windows 10.
How to Take A Screenshot on Windows 10 - 2020
There are many ways you can go about taking a screenshot on Windows 10.
1. Quick Screenshots using PrtSc (Print Screen)
Most laptops and keyboards have a print screen button built into them. If you press the Print Screen button, it will automatically save whatever is on screen in the form of an image file (Jpeg, PNG, or JPG) to the computer's memory. Here are a few pointers:
- This button is usually found between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock button on most keyboards.
- If your system is a laptop, use the Function key (Fn) found near the Control (Ctrl) button near the space bar. Press Fn and PrtSc simultaneously to take a screenshot.
2. Other ways to take quick screenshots
The Fn and PrtScr combination may not work for every desktop or PC model out there. If you are still wondering how to take a screenshot on Windows 10, here are a few other combinations you may want to try out. At least one of these is bound to work for you:
- Press the PrtScr button.
- Some computers have a Windows Key. Combine this with the PrtScr.
- Press the Windows button and the Shift button.
- The Alt key may also be used to access Print Screen (Alt + PrtScr)
- Just like in smartphones, you can combine the volume down button and the Windows key to take a screenshot.
- The Game Bar on many computers also allows you to take screenshots. This is important when it comes to gaming, to capture moments where you get a high score, to report bugs, etc.
3. Snipping Tool
Windows 10 comes with an inbuilt tool to take screenshots, called the Snipping Tool. If you are confused about how to take a screenshot on Windows 10, this is the easiest way to go. Follow the following steps to use the snipping tool.
- Open the start bar.
- Search "Snipping Tool" on the search box.
- The "Snipping Tool" app will pop up on the top of the search results. Select it.
- The app will open up, select the type of snip.
- Drag the cursor across the area you want to take a screenshot of.
- The screenshot has been taken.
- Save the image (in whichever format you want) to your computer's memory.
4. Snip and Sketch Tool
This is just like the Snipping Tool but combines its function with the screen sketch tool. Here is how to take a screenshot on Windows 10 using the snip and sketch tool:
- Select the start button.
- Type in 'snip and sketch' in the search bar.
- Select the type of snip to use. You have several options like a rectangular snip, a freeform clip, and a full-screen clip.
- The rectangular snip allows you to take proportional snips of specific portions of the screen.
- In the freeform option, you can drag around the cursor in any which way to form a random shape for your screenshot. This gives you more freedom to snip out just the portion you need.
- The full-screen clip takes a picture of the entire screen, from corner to corner.
Now that you know how to take a screenshot on Windows 10, make sure that you do not misuse the information. There is a good reason many websites prevent you from taking screenshots of the content. Streaming services like Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu do not allow their viewers to capture what is happening on the screen, because it often leads to piracy. If you try these methods out there, you will usually end up with a black screen with just the subtitles. Even if you find a way around these restrictions, keep in mind that piracy of artworks is punishable by the law. Share this article so your friends and family can figure out how to take a screenshot on Windows 10!