This is a very new feature that was released in February 2021. This is a way to actually get back those pictures that you deleted in the spur of the moment but now regret it entirely.
We often delete posts that don't align with who we are or even the aesthetic of the Instagram feed anymore. I have most certainly done this so many times in the past years. Previously if you want to bring back some deleted posts, you will have to post them again manually and then put a description that hopefully resembles the older posts. There wasn't any way to actually bring the original post back until now.
How it works?
This new feature allows you to recover any time of post (photos, videos, stories and more) that you have posted in the past. This new feature uses the 30 days window where you could bring back the deleted post. Otherwise it will be deleted permanently. This is very similar to the deleted photos in the Photos app.
Before Jumping into how this feature works, please ensure to update your Instagram app to the latest version. Since its a very new feature, its the best option to have the latest version of the app.
- Open the Instagram app. Go to the Profile tab in the bottom right corner of the screen (avatar icon).
- At the top right corner of the screen, tap on the three-line icon which reveals more options.
- Choose Settings from the list. This must be the first option. Choose Account from the options in the Settings section. Any settings related to the account like posts are under the Account section.
- Choose Recently Deleted. This might not be available for some users since it's slowly being rolled out.
- Choose the post you would like to retrieve whether it's a post or video or story. As you can see I have only one post in the selection in the screenshot below.
- Select the post and you would see the post opened as seen below. Tap on the three dots at the top right corner of the post. If you are in the right place, you won't see any description for the post.
- In the popup that appears, Tap on Restore. You could also delete the post permanently.
- As you can see, you will be shown info about what happens when you restore posts to your feed.
- You will be asked to verify whether if you are right owner of this account just to make sure that somebody else is not messing with you instagram account. Retrieving is basically posting an old post into the feed. Choose the mode of verification whether it's mobile or via email address.
- I chose Mobile number verification and as you can see OTP is received and enter OTP correctly to make sure it is authenticated. Once you tap on Confirm, the post will be restored to your profile.
The selected post would be restored back to your profile. One thing to remember is that deleted stories that are not in the archive will be available in this folder for up to 24 hours. So, plan accordingly if you are planning to retrieve it.
Since there is only a short window to restore posts, its always wise to archive them in case if you don't want a post in your feed. Archived post will be there permanently. Archive was introduced in 2017 as a feature which was widely appreciated among instagram users. Archive feature lets the users on Instagram hide their old posts without deleting them permanently from their feed.