One thing to understand is that this status is not very out there in terms of how people see it. It's not a post or even a story, its just an About like feature that you could see on Facebook. Your contacts need to manually reach your profile and see your status. I'm not so excited about this feature because it's no big deal and I'm sure many of you see it the way I do too.
One major thing is the profile status or about section. Signal has its own version of Status. Here's how you can actually update the Status update in the Signal app for both iOS & Android.
How to post Status updates on Signal on iOS
- Open Signal app. One main thing to make sure of is to update to the latest version of the app. Since this is a very recent feature as of the first week of February 2021, it's the best thing to make sure that you have the latest version of the app installed and ready to go on your smartphone.
- Tap on the Profile icon at the top left corner of the screen. This would open the Profile Settings section of the Signal app containing all the features and settings for the signal app.
- Tap on the Profile icon and the phone number at the top of the list. This is where you would ideally change your Profile picture in Signal.
- In the screen that appears, Below the First Name and the Last Name, tap on the Add to Profile under the About section. It has end to end encryption as well to protect your profile details.
- You can start typing about yourself where it says Write a few words about yourself... There is a word limit of about 140 words as you can see in the screenshot below. If you don't want to type your own you can choose the predefined ones from the list below.
- Speak Freely
- Free to Chat
- Coffee Lover
- Taking a break
- Be Kind
- Working on something new
Tap Done at the top right corner once you are done typing the About section. You could go back and change it any time you want.
If you don't want any Status you could clear the existing text and Tap on Done. Signal even lets you save an empty status which basically means you could actually remove it.
Also, you could add emojis to the Status by tapping on the emoji icon on the left side of the about text box. Its not compulsory to do this but its fun to have something funny or quirky. This is what i have added in my status.
"Its so nice when the toxix people leave your life. Its like the trash took itself out". Feel free to use it.
You can also try these interesting Signal posts:
1. Is it Possible to Hack A Signal Account?
2. How to Add Custom Wallpaper on Signal
3. Signal app on Apple Watch, is possible?
4. Fix - Signal App not working
5. How to use Signal App on PC
6. How to Delete Your Signal Account Permanently
7. Change Signal App Notification Sound
How to post Status updates on Signal on Android
- Open the Signal app. As always, please make sure to update on the latest version of the Signal app in your Android version.
- Tap on the Profile icon at the top left corner of the screen. In the settings window, tap on the profile icon and you will see a screen like below. Once you are there tap on the About.
- You will see a similar screen to iOS version to add About status then. Type where it says Write a few words about yourself. Or you could choose from the predefined version of the status.
- Once you are done, tap on Save at the bottom right corner of the screen. And it will be updated as your status. You can change it any time or even remove it.
That's how you actually change the about status of your profile in Signal app. We can hope that the company brings new features like the Story status which could be great and bring in a lot of daily users to the application. Its definitely going to be a copy of the Stories from WhatsApp but it can help the platform a lot since WhatsApp users adore the Stories feature.
I would definitely use Signal more if that's the case. Since Signal is hiring a lot of new people to the team, We can expect some great features in the coming days which could definitely make the instant messaging experience better.
Stories like clone in Signal app
Whether its Instagram or WhatsApp, The Story like status is highly popular in the social media and messaging platforms. Even in Facebook people are fond of posting Stories which God knows, who is watching all of that. But there is a direct consensus to daily users and high activity in Stories.
So, if Signal is aiming at replacing giants like WhatsApp & Messenger, maybe its time for them to actually start innovating on the Stories area because there is an attachment for people towards disappearing status content. If Signal could come up with a Story like feature, then they can retain a lot of users in being a daily user. Let's be honest, at the moment, not a lot of people are using it as their daily driver. We still are hanging on the WhatsApp and other platforms.
It could definitely go either way because having a story like feature doesn't guarantee any increase in daily users but its definitely a hit and miss at the moment and I don't see what's the downside in trying one of it.