If you are already tired of the Signal revolution now, you can actually delete the signal account and the app and go back to the old ways. If you don't know about the Signal revolution, you are definitely living under a rock and you need to start using the internet.
Signal, as you might be aware, recently been skyrocketing in terms of its user base because of one small tweet from the mighty Elon Musk.
Steps to Disable Signal Account
Disable Signal is basically stopping yourself from sending and receiving messages and texts in the Signal app.
- Open the Signal app and when you are on the chat screen, chat on the profile icon at the top left corner of the screen.
- In the profile screen that appears, choose Advanced.
- Once you are in the advanced settings, Disable Signal messages and calls.
- Once this is done, you won't receive any messages and calls.
This is not disable per se, but its the closest thing to actually disabling signal as you can get.
Steps to Delete Signal Account Permanently
The first thing you need to realize is that if you have uninstalled the Signal thinking it would be to delete the signal account, then you are definitely wrong. Uninstalling will delete the app, and your user data only stored in the device like your Apple or Android device.
If you have done so, please reinstall the app and follow the following steps to make sure you Unregister or Delete your Signal account.
1. iOS Devices [Deleting Signal on iPhone]
These are the steps to delete your signal account using and iOS device.
- Open the Signal app, its better to update the app just to make sure you have the latest version of Signal.
- Tap your profile icon at the top left corner of the screen. This will show all the profile related information related to your signal account.
- Choose Advanced in the Profile options window that is shown.
- Choose Delete account from the options available which is big red button.
- Enter your Signal number. It is required to enter the Signal number as a form of verification when you are actually the person you are.
- Confirm by pressing Proceed. All your messages in the signal app will be deleted and also link to the servers will be severed to ensure you have nothing to do with Signal anymore. Its so cut and clear. Signal won't try to retain you because its all about user's choice and privacy.
2. Deleting Signal on Android
These are the steps to delete your signal account using an Android device. It's even simpler to delete your account in iOS.
- Open the Signal app and just be sure to make sure you have updated the app to the latest version of it.
- Once you are in, Tap your profile icon which will be placed at the top left corner of the screen. Let's hope they don't do a UI revamp anytime soon.
- In Profile, Choose Advanced and then Delete Account.
- Choose Proceed to confirm. This will ensure you that the Signal account is removed from the company servers and also all your Signal messages are deleted.
3. Deleting Signal App on Windows, Mac and Linux
If you use Signal on PC, These are the steps to delete your signal account using and Windows device.
- Open Signal app on your Windows PC.
- Navigate to Preferences in the Menu.
- Click on Clear Data.
- Choose Delete All Data to confirm that you have to actually delete all data.
The most important thing that you have to remember is that you will still be registered to your phone in signal servers. You will have to do that separately by following the steps above.
The above steps apply for Mac & Linux as well since the PC version of the app looks the same on all three platforms.
You can also try these interesting Signal posts:
1. Is it Possible to Hack A Signal Account?
2. Add Custom Wallpaper on Signal
3. Signal app on Apple Watch, is possible?
4. Fix - Signal App not working
5. Use Signal App on PC
6. Delete Your Signal Account Permanently
7. Change Signal App Notification Sound
8. Send Animated Stickers on Signal
How to remove the Signal app in Android & iOS?
Press and hold the signal app and in the popup that appears, choose Uninstall. The app and its data will be removed from the Android device.
- Open and look for the Signal app on the Home screen.
- Once you find it, press and hold the app until it starts jiggling mode. In the Jiggle mode, you will find the - icon at the top right corner of the app.
- In the popup that appears, choose Remove app.
How to remove the Signal app in Windows, Mac & Linux?
It's super easy to delete Signal in Windows. All you have to do is navigate to this URL. (C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\Programs\signal-desktop). Replace Your Name with your userID. Once you are in the folder, open Uninstall Signal.exe. Follow through the steps by mostly click Next and then Finish.
/Application directory and then delete Signal from the list. This will ensure the app is removed from your mac. Once it's done, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Signal and then delete everything in that folder. This would clear all the app data stored locally on the computer.
Open the terminal. Enter
apt-get remove signal-desktop in the terminal and then delete
And that's how you get out of Signal for good. I personally think you shouldn't delete your Signal account. It deserves a good chance. I understand that there are few issues here and there but given time Signal could be a great messaging platform