- Steps to change Windows 11 Password
- You can change Password using CMD, Control Panel, and, more.
- Also, you can remove or add Passwords with these steps in Windows 11.
Changing your password in Windows 11 is easy just like in Windows 10. Changing the password is possible until you know your current password. Although there are two more ways to retrieve your PC if you don’t know your current password using the cmd and the control panel, which are included below too. So don’t worry.
How to Reset your password in Windows 11
You might want to change your current password if you cannot remember it and want to put a different one. Or you think that someone might have logged into your computer and knows your password.
We have put the best methods in this article to help you thoroughly.
So, to change your password in Windows 11, just follow the simple steps below:
A. Changing your current password through Settings
If you already know your current password then follow the steps given below:
- Right-click the Windows icon and choose settings.
- In the Settings page, select Accounts.
- Then select Sign-in options.
Here you can change Windows Hello Face (if compatible), Fingerprint (if compatible), PIN, Password, and Security Key.
- On the right side, click on Password.
- Type your current password, click Next.
- Then type your desired new password, then type it again in “Confirm Password” textbox.
- You may add a hint in the “Hint” textbox or else leave it empty.
- Click next, then finish.
Congrats! Your current Windows 11 password is changed to a new password of your choice.
B. Change Windows 11 Password Using your keyboard:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete on your keyboard at once.
- Select Change Password from the options
- Type your old password, then type the new password then again in the confirm password box.
- Select Next arrow.
- Done, the password is changed successfully.
C. Change Password using Control Panel
- Press the Windows icon.
- Type Control Panel, then click on it.
- In the User Accounts option, click on Change account type.
- Just select your account (If you want to change password of other account, then select that account).
- Click on Change the password.
- Type in your current password and then your desired new password.
- Click Change Password.
D. Using Safe mode with Cmd to change password
People say that cmd is for tech geeks, but you can use cmd for changing your password in Windows 11.
Just follow the below-given steps and you would accomplish your objective to change your password in Windows 11.
The safe mode feature has been since the release of Windows 8. Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. No third-party software or drivers get loaded, and even the built-in Windows stuff is limited to just what’s necessary. Thus, it is a helpful way to diagnose a problem.
So, let’s jump in…
- First restart your PC and press F8 continuously, which will get you to advanced startup options. Make a note that the advanced startup option will be executed automatically after 3 interrupted Windows bootups.
- Select Safe mode options and press Enter.
- Here your Windows will load in a normal way but the screen would be black completely and the applications would be limited to a few. It’s the feature of Safe mode so don’t panic. Just to let you know, safe mode has a lot of restrictions.
- Now click on Start, then on Accessories, then Command Prompt to open cmd.
- Now just type in the following command:
net user username newpassword
- (Here you need to replace username with the account name you want to put as user. And change newpassword with your desired new password)
- Now restart your PC and use the new registered password (the one you had typed in cmd), to get access to your Windows 11 system.
E. Using your Microsoft Account to change your Password
- Enter the password you think is correct on the Windows login screen.
- If the password you typed is incorrect then you’ll see a message that says: “Your account password is incorrect. If you don’t remember your password, reset it now.”
- Now select Forgot Password.
- Verify your identity. You’ll need to login into your Microsoft account. Select which option to send the verification code to. Select Next.
- Enter the code. Type your new password and select Next.
- You’ve successfully reset your password.
If the above methods don’t work for you then you might have to reset your pc.
Reset your PC
Note: This will delete all your apps and data from your system.
To reset your PC, follow the following steps:
- Press Shift key while you select the Power > Restart button in the lower right corner of the screen.
- On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, then Reset this PC.
- Now select Remove everything.
This should let you gain access to your device.
To wind up…
Always take a backup of your account password in a USB device or at trusted places like in your Google Account, passwords section. Although changing your passwords at certain time intervals is a good practice but not too often, as you may tend to choose weaker passwords. Most security experts say that if you have a strong and unique password then you shouldn’t change it until you feel that your password has been compromised. So having your password backup at secure places is always a good idea.
Change Account name in Windows 11 using Control Panel
If you want to change your account name then follow the steps given below:
- Open Control Panel using Windows icon.
- Select Change account type. Select your account.
- Now instead of choosing Change the password just click on Change the account name.
- Rename your account.
Now if you cannot recall your password and want to get access to your computer device without losing any of your data then the next method is a savior for you people.
Note: You need to follow the steps correctly in order to make this method work.