Want to quickly delete a message that you sent to someone on your Facebook Messenger? You are in the right place. Every once in awhile, we do get paranoid about what we send to other people. At times when people do not see our messages, we just want to undo sending them. Every app nowadays has a feature of deleting the messages we send. Instagram allows deleting the message we send anytime we want, while WhatsApp allows it for a very short time after we send it. Similarly, Messenger has introduced the feature of deleting the messages we send, this is how you can do that:
Steps to Delete a Chat on Messenger
Based on the type of device or medium you use we have given 3 ways to delete specific or entire chat on your Facebook messenger.
1. To delete the Entire chat on the Messenger App
- Start by clicking on the Messenger app on your phone.
- Open the conversation, which has the messages you want to delete.
- For your phone, press, and hold on a message. In the newer updates, the contact tab will automatically swipe to the left, revealing three options.
- Click on the ‘red-colored’ bucket.
- Voila! The chat is deleted forever!
2. To delete a specific message on the Messenger App
- Tap on the chat whose messages you have to delete.
- Long – press on the message you want to delete.
- You will be provided with three options below, ‘Copy’, ‘Forward’, and ‘Remove’. Tap on ‘Remove’.
Note: Not only on personal chats but this feature also helps you if you send a message in the wrong group. Deleting a message that you sent results in displaying “this message was removed” in place of your message. Once you send a message to someone, you can delete it within 10 minutes.
There is another feature of messenger where you get the option to archive and delete the entire thread of messages. But this is only for your inbox and does not apply to the inbox of the person you send the message to.
3. To delete a chat thread on the desktop
- Scroll down to the chat whose messages you want to delete.
- Click on the chat and choose the message to be removed.
- Once you hover your mouse over the message, you will be provided with ‘three – dots’ beside the message with a pop up showing, ‘More’.
- Click on it.
- From the pop – up, click on ‘Remove’.
- Messenger will ask for confirmation before deletion. Click on ‘Remove’.
- Voila! The message has been deleted.
The option of deleting messages, from all the devices it has been sent, is not completely bulletproof because of the 10-minute constraint and the alternate text implying that the message was deleted. But it still is a better way as at least people cannot see the contents of the message that you send to them if you do not want them to.