Facebook messages often hold more secrets than you can imagine. Whether it is a general chat between friends, memes exchanged, or archived past relationship history, it is important to delete facebook messages from time to time. No matter what you are trying to clean, it is not easy to delete all chats and message history from your Facebook profile. Since Facebook switched the messaging service to a very new app called the Messenger, the process has become more difficult than thought, you can also read my previous posts on deleting the Facebook account and deleting Facebook Photos.
Delete All Facebook Messages Faster
Deleting Facebook messages is a slow and cumbersome process. You have to open individual messages, choose options, and select the messages you want to delete. So, when you have thousands of messages, the process becomes time-consuming and frustrating.
Delete One Message at a Time
To delete messages individually from Facebook, you have to open each message separately. To do this:
- Click Actions button
- Select Delete Messages
- Checkboxes appear against all the messages with the friend
- Select messages you want to delete by clicking on the Checkbox
- Click on Delete On
- Or, you can Click Delete All button
Delete All Facebook Messages at Once
Facebook does not have an inbuilt option to delete all messages at once. However, there are extensions you can use to delete all Facebook messages. Before that, you should take a backup of your Facebook account following these steps:
- Log into Facebook using your user id and password
- Click Settings and click ‘Download a copy’
- Click on the button ‘Start my Archive’
- Facebook takes some time to generate a backup, which includes all your messages, photos, and videos. Once your data is ready for download, Facebook sends a notification email and a download link to the registered email address
- Click on that link and download backup
You can anyway retrieve Facebook messages with few steps.
Steps to Delete All Facebook Messages using Extension
Google Chrome introduced an extension called “Facebook Message Cleaner”, which cleans up your messages at once.
- Open the Google Chrome Browser
- Visit the Chrome Web Store
- Find the Facebook Message Cleaner browser extension
- Click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ button – The blue button with a + sign
- A dialogue box appears. Now, you have to Click on ‘Add Extension’ to download and install the Facebook Message Cleaner Extension to Chrome.
- The installation process is over.
- Visit Facebook.com
- Sign in with Facebook Account using your phone number or email id
- Click on the button “Messages” which looks like a speed balloon on the upper right-hand corner of the page between Notifications and Friend Request button
- Click on “View All in Messenger” button right at the bottom of the window that pops up
- Now, Click on the Facebook Message Cleaner icon on Google Chrome’s Extension Bar – it appears like Facebook Messenger logo with a red X mark on the upper right-hand corner of the screen
- Click on ‘Open Your Messages’ in the window that pops up
- You have options to Delete or Archive Messages. You can choose to delete by clicking Begin Deletion button.
- If that does not work, choose Compatibility Mode
- In case if some of the messages are not deleted, refresh the page and repeat
If any warnings appear on the page, make sure you read it properly before beginning deletion.
Archive Messages: A “Slow” Method of Deleting Facebook Messages
- Open Facebook Messages
- Select Messages to Archive
However, the messages you archive is not deleted permanently; in fact, all messages re-appear the moment the same person messages you again.
Also Read: How to Delete Photos from Facebook?