Sending a WhatsApp message to a new contact is a pain, you have to get their phone number, save them to your phone and refresh WhatsApp to see the contact and you don't have to do that anymore, Facebook just announced a Snapchat like QR feature to directly add a new WhatsApp contact just by scanning a QR code of another person contact, along with Animated Stickers, Dark mode.
Steps to add WhatsApp Contact using QR
- Update WhatsApp to the latest version on Android or iOS.
- Open WhatsApp and click on the three-dot at the top right.
- Now Choose Settings from the drop-down list.
- Click on the QR code near your profile name.
- Now you can see your profile QR code under My QR code, choose Scan Code and scan the QR from your friend or another person's QR code from their profile.
Adding QR by sharing the photo
What if you don't have your friend or the person near you to scan his mobile QR? One good way is, you can
- ask your friend to share the QR code by going to My code and click on the share button at the top right corner.
- when you get the image, Open the QR and click on the gallery icon at the bottom left on Scan code. choose the image.
- Choose the QR image shared and click ok
- Now, after scanning the WhatsApp QR code, you'll see a pop-up saying "WhatsApp account found". check the number, name, and click ok to add the contact to your WhatsApp.