com surrogate Error
“ COM surrogate has stopped working ” an irritating pop-up appears while watching some interesting photos or Videos. Here I had shown two ways to Fix the COM surrogate error. no need to go with any change of codecs ( Nero & DivX ).
In a NUTSHELL, “COM Surrogate” is DllHost.exe process created by any other process, which wants to execute some code from any DLL (code library), but it doesn’t want to execute the code in its own space since it does not trust the code in terms of stability. So it creates a “surrogate” to execute the code. If that DLL code dies during execution, the only DllHost.exe surrogate process dies (giving us this “COM Surrogate has stopped working” error) and the initial process still alive. If this killing code were executed in the initial process directly, then the initial process dies instead of a surrogate.
Though actually, we have no need to care what it is and what all this means and how things work. We want our photos and Videos being shown.
The error says “COM Surrogate has stopped working”in windows 7 , 8 and looks like this:
Here are two ways to solve the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 Photo viewer:
1. Retrieve the whole Folder
This Method is to solve only the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 Photo viewer
- Retrieve the whole folder “C:Program FilesWindows Photo Viewer” from another healthy computer.
- Open your “C:Program Files”.
- Rename “Windows Photo Viewer” to any other name.
- Copy healthy “Windows Photo Viewer” folder from step 1 into “C:Program Files”, so there will be “C:Program FilesWindows Photo Viewer” folder with usual files.
- Open your image, check that everything works.
- Restart your PC.
- Delete the old folder. Or keep it.
2. Adding ” dllhost ” file to fix the COM surrogate error:
- Press Winkey + Pause Break
- Click advanced system settings on the left.
- Click the Settings at the Advances Tab:
- Select ” Turn on DEP for all programs“
- Select add and Choose dllhost file in the System32 dir.
If you have finished successfully with the ” com surrogate has stopped working windows 7 ” then it’s our pleasure to serve you And if you got messed up with something, feel free to scribble it into the comment box…!
1. FOUND A WORKING SOLUTION TO INTERNET EXPLORER 11’s COM Surrogate Error by will
Problem: My Windows 7 x86 (32bit) Virtual Instance on Parallels Mac was having issues with launching Internet Explorer 11 after a forced upgrade from Internet Explorer 10. And since one of the websites needed for work rely on and are only compatible with Internet Explorer, this was driving me nuts. Every time I would launch Internet Explorer, I would get bombarded with a series of COM Surrogate errors that would never stop until I had ended the tasked via Task Manager and/or restarted the virtual machine.
Diagnosis: After attempting all the currently available solutions on the internet..: Updating Windows 7/8 Codecs, Adding Data Execution Prevention (DEP) entries for both COM Surrogate and Windows Host Process for my x86 Windows 7, Running an Antivirus scan, attempting to find a way to downgrade Internet Explorer 11 (nearly impossible), and even removing my Parallels Display Adapter form the Device Manager..
HERE IS THE SOLUTION that worked for me:
1. Hit Windows + R (Run) and launch “inetcpl.cpl” (Internet Explorer Settings)
2. Go to the Advanced Tab, and Click “Reset…”
3. Check “Delete Personal Settings” and click Reset. Tada!
Enjoy 🙂 –Will.
2. Other Way to solve COM Surrogate Error by Vipin
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Internet options.
3. Click Advanced tab.
4. Press restore advanced settings and Reset button with Delete Personal Settings checked.
5. Apply and restart your PC.
If unable to open internet options then restart the system in safe mode.
I hope this will be helpfull.