Solve – com surrogate has stopped working in WINDOWS

Solution to solve : COM surrogate has stopped working in Windows

Hello, “ COM surrogate has stopped working ” an irritating pop-up appears during watching interesting photos and you rushed up to google, searched and came to this site, Don’t worry you will be returning only after getting repaired with fulfillment. And no need to go with any change of codecs ( Nero & DivX ). Here I had shown two ways to Fix the COM surrogate error and prevent the ” com surrogate has stopped working” pop-up.

Process explanation:

In a NUTSHELL, “COM Surrogate” is DllHost.exe process created by any other process, which wants to execute some code from any DLL (code library), but it doesn’t want to execute the code in its own space since it does not trust the code in terms of stability. So it creates a “surrogate” to execute the code. If that DLL code dies during execution, the only DllHost.exe surrogate process dies (giving us this “COM Surrogate has stopped working” error) and the initial process still alive. If this killing code were executed in the initial process directly, then the initial process dies instead of a surrogate.

Though actually we have no need to care what it is and what all this means and how things work. We want our photos being shown.

The error says “COM Surrogate has stopped working”in windows 7 , 8 and looks like this:

Com surrogate has sopped working

Here are two ways to solve the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 Photo viewer:

1. Retrieve the whole Folder

This Method is to solve only the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 Photo viewer
  • Retrieve the whole folder “C:Program FilesWindows Photo Viewer” from another healthy computer.
  • Open your “C:Program Files”.
  • Rename “Windows Photo Viewer” to any other name.
  •  Copy healthy “Windows Photo Viewer” folder from step 1  into “C:Program Files”, so there will be “C:Program FilesWindows Photo Viewer” folder with usual files.
  • Open your image, check that everything works.
  • Restart your PC.
  • Delete the old folder. Or keep it.
                                             ( OR )

2. Adding ” dllhost ” file to fix the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 :
  • Press  Windows logo key + Pause Break
  • Click advanced system settings on the left.
                  COM surrogate error in  Windows 7 Photo viewer.
    • Click the Settings at the Advances Tab:
    COM surrogate error in  Windows 7 Photo viewer.

Select ” Turn on DEP for all programs

COM surrogate error in  Windows 7 Photo viewer.

• Select add and Choose dllhost file in the System32 dir.
    COM surrogate error in  Windows 7 Photo viewer.

If you have finished successfully with the ” com surrogate has stopped working windows 7 ” then it’s our pleasure to serve you And if you got messed up with something, feel free to scribble it into the comment box…!

Recommended:

<<<  Windows 7 Tips and Tricks  >>>                 <<< How to share a file from one laptop to another. >>>                          Google search Expert Tips and Tricks

Other Ways to Solve ” Com surrogate Error ” Choosen from the comments:

1. FOUND A WORKING SOLUTION TO INTERNET EXPLORER 11’s COM Surrogate Error by will

Problem: My Windows 7 x86 (32bit) Virtual Instance on Parallels Mac was having issues with launching Internet Explorer 11 after a forced upgrade from Internet Explorer 10. And since one of the websites needed for work rely on and are only compatible with Internet Explorer, this was driving me nuts. Every time I would launch Internet Explorer, I would get bombarded with a series of COM Surrogate errors that would never stop until I had ended the tasked via Task Manager and/or restarted the virtual machine.

Diagnosis: After attempting all the currently available solutions on the internet..: Updating Windows 7/8 Codecs, Adding Data Execution Prevention (DEP) entries for both COM Surrogate and Windows Host Process for my x86 Windows 7, Running an Antivirus scan, attempting to find a way to downgrade Internet Explorer 11 (nearly impossible), and even removing my Parallels Display Adapter form the Device Manager..

HERE IS THE SOLUTION that worked for me:
    1. Hit Windows + R (Run) and launch “inetcpl.cpl” (Internet Explorer Settings)
    2. Go to the Advanced Tab, and Click “Reset…”
    3. Check “Delete Personal Settings” and click Reset. Tada!

Enjoy :)
                                                                                                                                                                                                             –Will.

2. Other Way to solve COM Surrogate Error by Vipin

1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. Click Internet options.
    3. Click Advanced tab.
    4. Press restore advanced settings and Reset button with Delete Personal Settings checked.
    5. Apply and restart your PC.

If unable to open internet options then restart system in safe mode.
    I hope this will be helpfull.

Thanks
    Vipin –

Do you know “ How to get 5000 friends, just in 3 days on FACEBOOK – Lol Just try this. This is not just a trick

Extra Tricks for youTrick to Hack a Facebook Account without password Step by Step (2014)

You may also like...

29 Responses

1. Anonymous says:

I get an error “You can not set DEP attributes on 64 bit executables” when I try to add dllhost.exe to the exception.

2. System DEP configuration settings apply only for 32-bit applications and processes when running on 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows. On 64-bit versions of Windows, if hardware-enforced DEP is available it is always applied to 64-bit processes and kernel memory spaces and there are no system configuration settings to disable it.

Have you tried the first step?

3. donpatie says:

Thanks fixed mine..no more errors

4. Anonymous says:

com surrogate has started working :)

5. Jenni Klemp says:

I am so grateful for the in a nutshell explanations. I was excited that this would fix my problem. Tried and turns out I have 64 bit as well. :( Option 1 is not an option for me. So you are saying there is no fix for 64 bit?

6. Try retrieving the whole folder from your neighbour!

7. Shahid says:

C:WindowsSysWOW64dllhost.exe is the correct location for windows 7 64bit system

8. Anonymous says:

FOUND A WORKING SOLUTION TO INTERNET EXPLORER 11’s COM Surrogate Error

HERE IS THE SOLUTION that worked for me:
      1. Hit Windows + R (Run) and launch “inetcpl.cpl” (Internet Explorer Settings)
      2. Go to the Advanced Tab, and Click “Reset…”
      3. Check “Delete Personal Settings” and click Reset. Tada!

Enjoy :)
      –Will.

9. pankaj thani says:

you cannot set DEP attributes on 64 bit executables , this problem occurs…what should i do..

10. pankaj thani says:

you can not set DEP attributes on 64 bit executable , this problem occurs in my pc what should i do..?

11. Try clicking on a single photo from a file, then run slide show. Slide show should then work. (The ‘Com surrogate’ error only appears on my computer whenever a complete file is selected.)

12. On this computer, slide show works if you select a single photo from a file. (‘Com Surrogate’) error only appears if you select a complete file

13. Anonymous says:

well done Shahid that seems to be the answer for the 64 bit version Thanks for your post

14. C:WindowsSysWOW64dllhost.exe is the correct location for windows 7 64bit system – credits : Shahid

15. C:WindowsSysWOW64dllhost.exe is the correct location for windows 7 64bit system – credits : Shahid

16. Unknown says:

Hi,

This worked for me.

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click Internet options.

3. Click Advanced tab.

5. Apply and restart your PC.

If unable to open internet options then restart system in safe mode.

I hope this will be helpfull.

Thanks

Vipin

17. pankaj says:

for 64-bit systems

C:WindowsSysWOW64dllhost.exe

18. Anonymous says:

Mine is 64-bit, so this worked for me. Thanks!

19. still does not work properly for me after adding this file location and rebooting windows.

20. busana kasih says:

can i download the Windows Photo Viewer folder instead of coping it?

21. Anonymous says:

working fine but i get warning that my computer may b damaged by virus by this

22. fighter@X says:

are there alternate key for window key + Pause Break ,because COM Surrogate doesnt let me open it

23. Tahir Zia says:

One of method worked for me, i would like to share that it might help someone else.
      Using OS: Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      The Com surrogates stopped working error was faced everytime i was going to pictures folder from “Start Menu” and clicking on “Pictures”. The Pictures shortcut link was opening the pictures folder as “Apps -> Pictures” with a long random characters in address bar. Instead when i clicked my normal pictures shortcut, it simply takes me to C:Usersusernamepictures and the com surrogates problem was didn’t occurred that way.
      So I simply changed the “pictures” target location to “C:Usersusernamepictures” and problem got solved.

24. Thanks, and your comment is added to the post too.. :)