In a NUTSHELL, “COM Surrogate” is DllHost.exe process created by any other process, which wants to execute some code from any DLL (code library), but it doesn’t want to execute the code in its own space since it does not trust the code in terms of stability. So it creates a “surrogate” to execute the code. If that DLL code dies during execution, the only DllHost.exe surrogate process dies (giving us this “COM Surrogate has stopped working” error) and the initial process still alive. If this killing code were executed in the initial process directly, then the initial process dies instead of a surrogate.
The error says “COM Surrogate has stopped working”in windows 7 , 8 and looks like this:
1. Retrieve the whole Folder
This Method is to solve only the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 Photo viewer
- Retrieve the whole folder “C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer” from another healthy computer.
- Open your “C:\Program Files”.
- Rename “Windows Photo Viewer” to any other name.
- Copy healthy “Windows Photo Viewer” folder from step 1 into “C:\Program Files”, so there will be “C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer” folder with usual files.
- Open your image, check that everything works.
- Restart your PC.
- Delete the old folder. Or keep it.
2. Adding " dllhost " file to fix the COM surrogate error in Windows 7 :
- Press + Pause Break
- Click advanced system settings on the left.
- Click the Settings at the Advances Tab:
- Select add and Choose dllhost file in the System32 dir.